Match Report
Sir Joseph Williamson's Mathematical School 1st XV vs  Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School
On: Saturday, 02 Oct 2010
Venue: at Home

Chisilhurst and Sidcup, October 2nd.
Home, 12 -16.

Team: Nick Hardinges (Harlequins RL), Luke Murray (Medway), Dougie Ebanks (Blackheath), Marcus Parnell (Kent), Rafid Rahman, Hugo Parnell, Ben Dance (Medway), Tom Whitnell (Medway), Fergus Stewart (Harlequins RL), Jamie Girvin (Being a Girv), Tom Brown (Medway), Joe Cooke, Maximilian Worrell (Dragons), Jack Johnston (Medway), Doug Ebanks (Blackheath)

Contrary to any season for the past ten years the Math entered October unbeaten. The record stood at three wins and a draw, perhaps proof that the now established rugby academy was starting to have a positive effect on the rugby at 1st and 2nd XV level.
The Math had learned their lesson about starting a game slowly and going down the slight hill for the first half the Math exploded into a bewildered Chis and Sid side. Hard work around the base of the scrum from Jack Johnston and the incoming centre Marcus Parnell saw the ball stripped from the opposing number eight on two consecutive occasions - the largest player on the pitch. The fringe defense, an aspect of the Maths play that had been lacking in previous games, was tight and the blitzing back line game Chisilhurst little room to run the ball. Most of the first half was spent camped in their half and constant penalties awarded in the Maths favour allowed the boot of Hugo Parnell to kick the Math school into a three point lead.
It must be said that in the forward department the Math were outsized in almost every area and to prevent Chisilhurst from scoring given this is testament to the determination the Math took into the game against a side they had not beaten in several years. However, in preventing the heavier pack from scoring a penalty was conceded and the opposition took the three points on offer.
This scoring balance was short lived however as Hugo kicked two penalties from long range, after Chis and Sid again infringed in the same areas.
Although the Math were ahead and in relative control throughout the first half what they lacked was an ability to break the gain line and subsequently capitalise on the advantage gained. Too many desperate passes and lack of effective support meant players making breaks were too isolated; none more so than Ebanks, who ran half the pitch, only for the Maths structure to break down, leading to fumbles and knock ons. More discipline was needed.
The second half began with the Math six points ahead at 9-3. It started with the same intensity as the first half but again errors crept into the Math school game and Chis and Sid were happy to punish the Math for it by kicking long for touch, knowing that their bigger pack had the advantage. The Math had dealt with this well, until Stewart was sin binned for a dangerous tackle, indeed they continued to deal with it for nearly nine minutes of the ten minute binning. Unable to stop the drive Chis and Sid powered over the line, but whether a try was legitimately scored is questionable as the positioning of the referee prevented him from seeing the positioning of the ball above the Math hands, indeed the positioning of the ref prevented him from seeing any sort of ball placement. What-a-nob.
Despite the Maths valiant defense led by the captain Parnell the Chis and Sid forwards deprived the Math of any sort of ball and two late penalties sealed the game for the visiting side meaning the game ended in disappointment.

Final Score: 12 - 16.

Written by eBanks.