Match Report
Sir William Borlase's Grammar School 1st XI vs  Ousedale School
On: Wednesday, 23 Sep 2015
Venue: Away

Match Preview:

This is the second game in the Group Stage of the County Cup as the First XI look to bounce back from two disappointing defeats last week when they travel to Milton Keynes on Wednesday.

Team changes this week:

Three points is absolutely key for the boys who need to kick start their County Cup campaign.

Keep up to date on Twitter by following @BorlaseFootball

Match Report:

Interesting but back on track...

The boys traveled to Ousedale School in Milton Keynes determined to make up for their disappointing set of results the previous week. Having trained well on the Monday they were confident they were going to do just that, despite knowing that Ousedale would pose a tough test.

On arrival Borlase were informed that the opposition had only 10 players but despite this Gleeson was very adamant that even a man down they could be dangerous and it was key that we put the game to bed straight away.

Borlase started strongly and when doing the simple things right played some superb football and created great chances. They deservedly took the lead when Matt Casale finished off a tidy move, there was a steady flow of goals from the First XI after that as Luke Curren let a gem of a 'FIFA Finesse Shot' from the left hand side of the box to finish in the top right hand corner, the Year 12's maiden First XI goal, and then Casale beat the goalkeeper to a Henry Arthur free kick to leave the keeper a little read faced!

Ousedale had little chances and after losing their striker to a hamstring injury resulted in them being down to 9 men and resorting to the long ball tactic which did pay off as Jack Blythe 'brought down' the Ousedale striker and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. After seeing the penalty being awarded the Ousedale keeper proceeded to run the length of the pitch to take the penalty which he crashed against Cooke's crossbar, which then forced a mad 30 seconds as Borlase tried to get the ball in the open goal but could not quite convert. Interesting.

3-0 at half time it was and the key message from Gleeson and Robertson was to keep it simple and don't get frustrated and stoop down to Ousedale's messing around.

The boys did that and continued to play some tidy football, allowing Robbie Tuckerman to grab a brace and for Harry Donkin to score his maiden First XI goal as well. There was one lapse in concentration as another long ball was played forward by Ousedale and their striker beat Cooke to the ball to guide it through to his strike partner for an easy finish into an open goal, frustrating.

All in all it was a very comfortable match for Borlase, a little frustrating as momentum was hard to come by and in truth there should have been far more goals scored and also a clean sheet. But Gleeson, Robertson, Southby and Arthur all reflected on the postives; 6 goals scored, 3 points on the board and the County Cup campaign back on track. Time to focus on the games ahead.

Man of the Match was awarded to Matt Casale who was again outstanding in the middle of the park and the Maher Award to Robbie Tuckerman who hit a screamer of a shot against the post and then missed an absolute sitter to get his hat-trick.

The First XI face another trip up to Milton Keynes next week as they face Walton High School hoping for a tougher test but still the same outcome. As always you can keep updated on Twitter: @BorlaseFootball