Match Report
Sherborne School Boys-U18A vs  Christ's Hospital
On: Thursday, 07 Mar 2019
Venue: at Home

A good game of schoolboy rugby resulted in Sherborne coming out victorious; 24-5 against a powerful Christ’s Hospital team.
After two and a half months since the Quarter Final against Skinner’s, the biggest cause of anxiety for the players was rustiness…and there was plenty of it! Fortunately, though, both teams struggled with the lack of recent playing time, which made the game a little scrappy, but even nonetheless.
There was a huge wind from the west side of the ground, heading straight downfield. CH decided to play with it in the first half so Sherborne knew they might be under pressure from the off.
Sherborne got off to a cracking start with a huge defensive set resulting in the Christ’s Hospital team getting bundled into touch in their own 22. From the resulting lineout, Sherborne moved the ball wide to Jai Thompson who finished off in the corner to put Sherborne 5-0 up. With the wind in his face, Fin French did well to get the ball through the posts at all, even though it was under the bar…
Sherborne looked dangerous with ball in hand and playing into the wind made them play for longer periods of the half without making much headway. Good running lines form Atkins, McLoughlin and Little allowed some penetration though, but it was in the backs where Sherborne looked most likely to score. The next try came from some slick hands to the wide channel. Hal Little found himself with the ball 5 metres out and he took the contact and offloaded to Felix Connelly to dot down. Another tough kick from wide out was missed, but Sherborne were 10-0 up.
Sherborne looked to have scored again when Tom Carr-Smith made a fantastic break through the midfield. With only one defender to beat, his final pass to Sam Reynolds was judged to be forward to deny Sherborne a certain 7 pointer.
With the half coming to an end, Sherborne’s discipline allowed CH to make their way into the Sherborne 22 for the first time in the half. CH had some powerful athletes and, given space, looked really deadly with ball in hand. Their 12 and 11 were most threatening all day and it was the two of them that combined to get their only try of the game, just before half time.
With the wind on their back in the second half, it was important to start quickly. That they did with Tom Carr-Smith getting his first of 2 second half tries, crashing over from close range, under the posts.
At 17-5 and the wind growing stronger, it looked as though Sherborne would then run away with the game. Unfortunately the wind made it difficult for handling and Sherborne never really got firing again. With the game coming to a close, Sherborne score a lovely try to end the game. Charlie McCaig took the ball to the line, kicked through the defensive line for Carr-Smith to gather and score for another 7 points.
The final is on 19th March at Sixways stadium and we will be playing either Bloxham or Old Swinford Hospital.

Tries: Thompson, Connelly, Carr-Smith (2)
Conversions: French (2)