Match Report
Nottingham High School 1st XV vs  Worksop College
On: Saturday, 13 Oct 2001
Venue: Away

Sat 13 Oct 2001: Worksop College 20, Nottingham High School 3 (By Rhys Davies - NHS Rugby Secretary)

After suffering a poor start to the season, today's match against Worksop College was a must win situation. The whole team realised the importance of this fixture, and a feeling of determination surrounding the changing room prior to the kick-off. Today's opposition had been easily beaten last year, so hopes were high that a similar result could be recorded this afternoon.

Before a large crowd, Worksop opened proceeding by kicking off to the away side. Early exchanges went well, with both sides experiencing periods of good play. The NHS forwards competed well in the set pieces, with their scrums holding up in comparison to previous weeks. The deadlock was unfortunately broken after a mistake by the NHS fullback Bratley, who scuffed a clearance into the hands of an oncoming Worksop player who was able to score easily. This was particularly disappointing as it was our aim to score first. However, the conversion was missed. Nottingham came out with renewed enthusiasm and enjoyed long periods of domination. They were able to secure a penalty on the 10 metre line, but unfortunately this was not converted as Seaton struck the crossbar with his effort.

The home side were shocked into action by this close miss, and penetrated the High School back line with surprising ease to score a try near to the corner. The conversion proved too difficult for the Worksop fly half. However, it was not long until the black and whites scored their only points of the match. From some good lineout ball the forwards were able to initiate some penetrating drives against the heavier home pack. Phases of good support
ought the visitors closer to the Worksop line. Even though we were unable to score a try, the away forwards allowed Seaton another opportunity to gain 3 points. The half-time whistle soon followed, and the NHS went into the interval only 7 points down.

Half Time Score : Worksop College 10, Nottingham High School 3

Immediately from the restart Nottingham took the game to Worksop, with some strong forwards play. This allowed the backs for perhaps the first time of the season to have a regular supply of ball. Despite constant pressure, with the black and whites being camped on the home line, we could not find a way to score. The visitors, were repelled after 3 constructive scrums from only five metres out. Worksop then counterattacked with some fluent play from their backs to drive the NHS back on their own line. From a 5-metre scrum, the home back row were able to score as a result of poor communication and tackling in the Nottingham defences. Fortunately, the Worksop kicker still had not found his mark by missing yet another attempt at goal. With the High School now 12 points behind, it was imperative that we scored quickly. However, a recurring problem plagued the team in that we found it difficult to lift ourselves and become urgent when the time required it. Slowly, the time on the clock ran down, and even though again we become camped in the home 22, we could score the decisive try.

To add further insult to injury, with the last play of the match the efficient Worksop back line followed up a long kick to score another try, which again went unconverted. Luckily, the referee decided to end proceedings.

This was a match that had to be won by the black and whites, but again was beyond our grasp. The season requires a definite reversal in results if we are to have a winning season. However, it must not be forgotten that we have 12 games remaining.