Match Report
Nottingham High School 1st XV vs  Worksop College
On: Saturday, 11 Oct 2003
Venue: Away

Saturday 11th October Nottingham High School 32 Worksop College 0

Confident coming out from a close win over Hymers College last week, we travelled North where Worksop College provided the opposition.
The game began with both sides evenly matched, where a number of penalties were awarded for unnecessary mistakes. We attempted two penalty kicks at goal, one of which was successful, the other not, to put ourselves 3 points ahead after 10 minutes of play. Worksop took no advantage from the penalties we gave away, however. After this we applied the pressure on what was a physically larger team, to allow Thomas to make a superb break through the backs, but an offence in a subsequent ruck situation 5 meters from the opposition line, meant Worksop were awarded another penalty, from which they cleared the ball back downfield. The opposition came close to scoring through a neat backs move, but as a result of some poor passing, Nembhard was able to clear the ball and eliminate any danger. An average first half was over then, with neither team able to
each the try line.
The second half looked to be a repeat of the first. We immediately conceded a penalty for interfering with the ball in the ruck situation, but minutes later Hallam, ducking and diving, broke through the opposition line to feed Nembhard on the right wing, extremely unlucky not to score, when he was tackled into touch 5 meters short of the opposition line. The pressure did not seize however. It was evident the larger Worksop pack was beginning to tire, as we further raised the pressure to cause the opposition defence more bother in the right hand corner. We were stopped just short of the line, before spreading the ball through quick hands to the left hand wing, where Nesbitt was able to touch down for the first time this season. The touchline conversion was not added, leaving us 8-0 up. Minutes later Nembhard made another break before the possession was handed to Thomas, who punctured holes in the opposition defence to slide in underneath the posts. The subsequent conversion saw the score to 15-0. Worksop now had a phase in our half, but good support work form our pack meant we were able to turn over the ball, allowing Cormack to kick the ball towards their try line which was chased and regained, before Harry Pick stormed over the try line to stretch our lead to 20-0. Worksop regained possession, but vastly improved support work saw our turning over of the ball again, which allowed Hallam to send the ball downfield deep into the opposition 22. This time, Worksop committed a defence in the following ruck, for which we were awarded a penalty. A quick tap from the forwards saw a driving maul situation, allowing Quinn to drive over the line. Fenton's conversion made the score 27-0. In the dying minutes of the game, Worksop were again robbed of possession, and the ball was spread to the left wing to see Nesbitt score in similar fashion to his previous try, but more importantly, to finish the game with the score at 32-0 in our favour.
Saturday's performance was testimony to our fitness, which had been built on during mid-week training. The support work was excellent as a result, especially during the second half. Despite conceding a few too many penalties for our liking, the result proved a far from disappointing display of rugby. We hope we can continue such continuity against Welbeck College mid-week.