Match Report
Durham School 1st XV vs  Hymers College
On: Saturday, 08 Oct 2011
Venue: at Home

5/10/2011 Durham School v Hymer's College on the Playground.

Persistent drizzle had left the ground sodden. 50F.
Hymers dropped out towards the School the initial moves took Durham to the visitors 22, they had a free kick and a high ball was caught by Studd(15). Hymers conceded a penalty, dissented and were marched back. The penalty went to touch School caught the throw passed out and Willis(10) gave the ball to Nelson(2) who touched down.
Durham 5 Hymers 0 10 mins.
The restart ball went almost to the Durham 5m. line where it was collected by Blakeney-Edwards(11) who sprinted to half way but was pushed into touch. A mistake during their catch and drive led to a Durham scrum in front. Duncan(8), Elliott(9) Willis(10) and Nelson combined and he got a second try which was converted by Willis.
Durham 12 Hymer's 0 15 mins.
Hymer's restarted but were offside the penalty was hoisted and chased Hymers responded with a kick by Harrison(10) winning a penalty on half way. A conversion attempt by Harrison from that place was just short. It was collected and returned into touch. Hymer's throw was not straight so scrum to School. Duncan retained the ball as the forwards mounted a drive but when the the ball was released it ended in a forward pass.
Still just outside the oppositon 5m line two more drives ended in errors then a rolling maul had Bell(7) nearly over.
Hymer's gained a penalty and took play into the Durham 22 for the first time. The throw was won but with the slippery ball it went along the ground and they knocked on. Durham scrum then a free kick to the Hymer's 10m. Durham won the line out passed it to the backs but dropped it and from their scrum the ball went to the full back Lound whose clearance kick was returned to the visitors 22 and Durham attacked. Studd passed to Smith(14) and Gal
aith-Brown(13) found room to get over.
Durham 19 Hymer's 0 try converted by Willis. 30 mins.
A hard but legitimate tackle by Smith
ought a round of applause and Simpson(3) picked up and barged forward but despite having advantage a penalty was given, It was kicked to the Hymer's 22 then play was returned to the School half just before half time.
Early plays left Hymer's with a line out on the School 22, an attempted switch was thwarted by a tackle but the ball remained in Hymer's hands. Another penalty was kicked to the 5m line. Hymer's won their line out and passed to Lound(15) he could not make the line and Durham won a turnover and cleared to their 22.
A move by Durham's 9, 10 and 12(Hardy) took play back to half way but a penalty gave Hymer's a throw in. From there it was crosskicked and caught by Faulkner(13). School gave away a penalty on the 5m line and Hymer's pushed over for Harrison(10) to score an unconverted try.
Durham 19 Hymers 5 14 mins.
Collecting the drop out then chipping ahead and following up gave School the impetus. Elliott at scrum half had to go off and Hardy moved to 9. A penalty took Durham to the Hymer's 5m line and Noble(6) went round the fringe to touch down. No conversion.
Durham 24 Hymer's 5 20 mins.
Hymer's kick off was taken and School won the breakdown Duncan(8) nearly broke through their defence and Durham made it to the Hymer's 5m. line but they were offside and sent back to half way. Hymer's 22(wing) made 20m. but when tackled Durham won the turnover. A penalty ensued then dissent but Hymer's won the line out and School were on their 10m.line.
Again a penalty
ought Durham into the Hymer's half. Three times a pick and go was organised then a penalty was awarded 5m out.
Durham opted for a scrum and Hardy picked up and crossed for a try.
Durham 29 Hymer's 5 full time.

Craig Hooper O.D.(2001-6) a member of the team that got to the final of the D.Mail Cup at Twickenham came to watch as did Simon Ord captain this season. He has been present for nearly all the games despite a broken ankle. He is due to have the cast off soon. Meanwhile Ben Simpson has been leading on the field.
This match was the third game the squad had played in 8 days and Hymer's provided stern opposition.
The forwards Jones, Nelson, Simpson, Cooke, Cronin, Noble, Bell and Duncan had acquitted themselves well but as usual were not as conspicuous as the backs.

The next match is on Sat.15/10/11 against Sedbergh k.o 2.15 p.m.