Match Report
King's College, Taunton Girls- 1's vs  National Schools (County Round)
On: Wednesday, 04 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

The girls were determined to prove themselves in the tournament with targets of value possession, high work rate and team work. They personified the later two throughout the games and worked like trojans throughout, the target of valuing possession improved during the games.

Our first game against Downside, was a little frustrating with Downside defending deep and King's unable to find the touch in the circle to finish the numerous chances created but Millie Spurr scored the opening goal in the second half with nice finish after a good team build up and in the final minutes Captain Beth Barzotelli who had been a threat throughout managed to finish from a quick free hit and powerful strike from top circle to enable the 2-0 win.

Our second game against Queen's was full of incident with Queen's opening the scoring early but King's showed their metal and struck back almost immediately through Freja Gunningham at an penalty corner. With the game 1-1 at half time and both sides having battled hard, King's took the lead in the second half but were then on the back foot as Queen's responded. Despite a stoppage for an injury to experienced full back Freja Gunningham, King's gathered together and were determined to seal the win with some dogged defending and great saves, the game finished 2-1 to King's.

Having sealed a spot in the semi-final, King's came up against Wellington School in the final pool game to finalise the positions in the pool. A scrappy start but a disallowed goal for Lottie Cannons and some superb saves and defending meant the game was still level at half time, but the second half performance was one of more dominance with King's controlling more of the play and managed to find a goal and seal top of the group.

The semi-final against King's Bruton we knew would be a tough affair but this did not deter the girls and they went out defended stoutly and frustrated the Bruton side but Bruton managed to sneak a goal. King's then responded and could have equalised through Captain Barzotelli after searing run but the keeper kept it out an it finished 0-1. In the second half the quality of the Bruton finishing told and a number of injuries and knock took their toll on the King's team but we didn't stop work of each other and looked fitter than the rest although the score finished 0-6.

The entire squad played an important part in the King's performance in the tournament with a positive attitude, work rate and team work. They were one cohesive unit lead superbly by Captain Beth Barzotelli but mentions must go to Katie Davy-Ericson in goal who was a hinderance to the opposition throughout and to Milly Frankis, who stepped up from the U15s to play in the U18s and played in most positions with great poise and influence. Also Charlotte Philipp for coming into the squad late and being a demon tackler.

There are some many players who could be mentioned but they should be immensely proud of their performance and have shown that a King's side are one that never gives up on each other or in any game!